This Cajun-inspired soup makes a warm, hearty meal.
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 Tbsp Garlic Steak Splash
- ½ lb (250gr) Italian sausage, sliced into ½" (1cm) thick rounds
- 6 cups Swiss chard or kale, chopped
- 6 cups (1.4 litre) low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 can (19oz/540gr) white beans, drained and rinsed
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and celery about 5 mins until softened. Add sausage and cook until the sausage is nicely browned. Transfer vegetables and sausage to a plate.
Return the pan to the heat; add the Garlic Steak Splash and scrape all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
Return the veggies and sausage. Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add the Swiss chard or kale, cover, and cook for 15 mins. until the chard is softened. Add the beans and heat through for 5 mins.
Serve with garlic-parmesan toasts.
You can easily substitute other types of beans and chicken or turkey sausage. Try adding your favourite vegetables like carrots and zucchini.
Click here for more great recipes from The Garlic Box, producers of farm to fork Ontario-grown garlic products.