This is an easy appetizer you can make in mere minutes. Adjust the quantity to suit any number of guests. Top crackers or chips with a dab of mustard, a little sauerkraut, smoked meat, and grated cheese. Microwave for less than two minutes and you’re done!
Your choice of:
- crackers (Triscuits, Wheat Thins, Gone Crackers)
- tortilla chips or cups
- pita crisps
- thick cut kettle style potato chips
- your favourite mustard
- fresh sauerkraut (we prefer Pyramid Farm & Ferments)
- if you use regular canned sauerkraut, drain it well and pat dry with paper towels
- thinly sliced smoked deli meat (pastrami, corned beef, or Montreal smoked meat)
- grated Swiss, Gruyere, or Emmental cheese (substitute provolone or mozzarella)
On a large microwave plate or casserole dish, arrange a single layer of crackers or chips. Put a tiny dab of mustard on each. Mound a small amount of sauerkraut on top of the mustard. Make sure the sauerkraut is fairly dry and don’t overload it or the crackers/chips will get soggy. Take several deli slices of meat and roll them up. Cut the roll into thin slices so that you can easily mound the meat on top off the sauerkraut. Spread grated cheese over the entire dish. Microwave on high for 1½ - 2 minutes, just until the cheese begins to melt. Serve warm.
You can also prepare this in a toaster oven or under a broiler. Baguette slices or little party pumpernickel and rye bread will work if you’re toasting in an oven. They become chewy if you’re using a microwave.