This is perfect for lamb but beef can be substituted. You could also prepare this dish in a slow cooker, allowing it to simmer on low all day. Serve the stew on its own, or over Basmati rice.
Serves 4 - 6
- 2 lbs (900gr) Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch/2.5cm cubes
- ½ lb (125gr) carrots, peeled and sliced into ½ inch/1cm thick rounds
- ½ lb (125gr) green beans, cut into bite sized lengths
- 3 Tbsp oil for sauteeing such as grapeseed, canola, or virgin olive oil
- 1 lb (450gr) lean lamb, cut into bite sized cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, finely sliced
- 4 - 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp freshly ground ginger
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced or
- fresh cilantro, chopped
Place potatoes, carrots and beans in a large soup pot and fill with 4 - 5 cups/1 litre water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high, and simmer until the potatoes are just barely done, about 15 mins. Reduce heat to medium.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add lamb and brown on all sides; cook in batches if necessary so that you don’t crowd the pan. Transfer lamb to the soup pot. Add onion and celery to the sauté pan and cook until the onion is softened. Add garlic and continue to sauté for a minute, careful not to burn the garlic. Add the butter, seasonings and ginger to the pan, stirring well to combine. Add in a little of the cooking water and scrape loose all the brown bits in the bottom of the pan. Transfer vegetables to the soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook with the cover on for 20 mins. Uncover and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lamb is cooked through, about 30 mins. longer.
Mash some of the potato against the side of the pot to thicken, if desired. Test for seasonings and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve stew in individual bowls and garnish with green onions or cilantro, if desired.