This is a hearty and healthy soup that’s quick and easy to make. The seasonings can be adjusted to suit different levels of spiciness. It can also be made vegetarian or vegan.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ sweet onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled, small dice
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ⅛ - ¼ tsp chipotle chile powder
- ⅛ - ¼ tsp ancho chile powder
- 1 small can (115ml) mild green chiles, drained and chopped
- 1 can (540ml/18oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- salt, to taste
- sour cream and your favourite salsa, optional garnish
Heat the oil in a heavy bottom stock pot over medium heat. Sauté the onions in the oil with a pinch of salt, until the onions begin to become translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté for a few minutes, careful not to let the garlic burn. Add the stock to the pot and bring to a low boil. Add the sweet potatoes and black pepper to the pot and return to the low boil. Cook until the sweet potatoes become soft, approximately 10 minutes.
Stir in the lemon juice and spices. Add the mild green chiles and black beans. Season to taste with salt and warm through. Ladle into soup bowls. Stir in a spoonful of salsa and garnish with a dollop of sour cream.
Serve with cornbread and a pilsner. Pair with a Belgian beer like Hoegaarden or with an off-dry Riesling.