Serves 4 - 6
- 1 lb fresh spinach, trimmed of tough stems, washed and dried
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crisp, drained and crumbled
- ¾ cup fresh bean sprouts
- ½ cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup wine or cider vinegar
- 2 to 3 Tbsp chutney such as: Rootham’s Mango Chutney or Stonewall Kitchen’s Major Grey’s Chutney
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 Tbsp coarsely ground mustard
- 2 tsp sugar
- ⅓ to ½ cup vegetable oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
In large bowl, toss together the spinach, mushrooms, water chestnuts, bacon, bean sprouts, cheese and onion. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate while preparing dressing. Salad will hold well for 8 hours.
To make the dressing, combine the vinegar, half the chutney, the garlic, mustard and sugar in food processor or blender and whirl until mixture is smooth. With machine running, slowly pour in the oil until thick and smooth. Add remaining chutney, taste and season, adjusting chutney and/or oil if necessary. Dressing can be made ahead and stored, covered, in refrigerator up to 3 days. Let stand at room temperature before adding to salad.
To serve, toss salad with dressing until greens are lightly and evenly coated.
variation of a recipe by Lynne Rossetto Kasper, host of The Splendid Table radio program on American Public Radio, available as a podcast on iTunes