In Cajun country, if something is really good, you say, “It’s so good you’ll slap ya mama!”
We like Slap Ya Mama brand Red Beans & Rice from Louisiana, but you can use any rice & bean package mix you prefer. Choose mild or spicy sausage to suit your tastes, or omit it altogether for a vegetarian dish. Use your favourite salsa but stick with a tomato base, not a fruity one.
Serves 2-3 as a main dish.
- 250 gr (¼ lb) andouille, chorizo, or Italian sausage (mild or spicy), removed from casings and crumbled
- 1 jar (454gr/16oz) tomato salsa (mild, medium, or hot)
- 1 box Slap Ya Mama Red Beans & Rice (or your favourite brand)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (or parsley, for cilantro-haters)
- grated or crumbled cheese for garnish (parmesan, feta, or cotija)
Heat a skillet over medium-high flame and sauté crumbled sausage until cooked through. You shouldn’t need to add any fat. You can add a dash of water if the sausage is sticking to the pan too much.
Drain liquid from the salsa into a cup and use in place of the water called for in the directions for the rice & beans. Add water to make up the quantity needed, if necessary. Stir the liquid and the rice & beans into the pan with the sausage. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the moisture is absorbed according to the package directions.
When done, uncover and add half of the jar of salsa (the entire jar if omitting sausage) to the pan; stir. Add the cilantro and gently toss to combine. Remove from heat and serve with cheese over top.