Slowly roasting garlic takes away all of its sharp flavour and brings out all the natural sugars for a slightly sweet, caramelized taste. This paté can be used not only for slices of baguette but alos for use in soups, pasta sauces, potatoes, and dressings.
- 1 bag of The Garlic Box frozen peeled garlic cloves or 4 large heads (bulbs) of Ontario garlic or
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp water
- 3 Tbsp butter at room temperature
- 2 - 3 drops of cayenne hot sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 baguette
Preheat oven to 325°F/163°C. If you’re using The Garlic Box frozen peeled garlic, pour the cloves out into a bowl and fill with warm tap water to thaw for several minutes. If using fresh garlic, slice the tops off the garlic heads. Gently remove loose, papery outer skin from the sides. Place in an oven-proof dish just large enough to hold the bulbs. Alternately, you can place them on a doulbe layer of foil that you will fold tightly later. Drizzle with oil and water. Cover or wrap tightly and bake for 1 hour.
Uncover and baste with any juices that have collected in the bottom. Continue baking anoother 15 minutes without a cover until golden brown. Remove from oven.
Allow garlic to cool. Turn the garlic heads upside down and squeeze the flesh from the cloves into a shallow bowl. Add any remaining juices. Using a fork, mash the garlic cloves. Add butter and hot sauce and continue to mash. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Slice the baguette and spread with paté. This makes a tasty appetizer or accompaniment to soups and salads.
The paté can be made ahead of time and kept covered in the fridge for up to two weeks. Allow to soften to room temperture before spreading it or use a scoop straight from the fridge in recipes.
Try The Garlic Box Fresh Frozen Peeled & Ready to Use Garlic
- 100% Ontario grown, all natural, heirloom garlic
- Field fresh and quick grozen for your convenience
- No peeling, no waste
- Use as you would fresh garlic
- Enjoy the health benefits and superior flavour our garlic has to offer