Pork & Lamb Burgers
- 1 lb (454gr) ground pork
- 1 lb (454gr) ground Ontario lamb
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp each salt & pepper
- 1 cup Mrs. Griffin’s Original or Hickory Smoke BBQ Sauce or your favourite mustard-based BBQ sauce
- 6 - 8 slices of Havarti cheese
- 6 - 8 hamburger buns
Tomato & Avocado Salad
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 small bunch or half a bag baby spinach
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro (or Italian parsley if you’re a cilantro-hater :)
In a large bowl, mix together pork, lamb, onion, and salt & pepper. Add just enough of the BBQ sauce for the patties to hold together, reserving the remainder. Shape the meat into 6 - 8 burger patties. Set aside.
While your grill is warming up to medium-high, make the salad. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, salt & pepper. Peel and dice the avocado, adding to the vinaigrette to keep from turning brown. Medium chop the tomatoes and onion, adding to the bowl. If you prefer a less sharp onion flavour, sliced the onions first and give ‘em a quick grill before chopping. Roughtly chop the spinach, finely chop the cilantro, and add to the bowl, tossing everything gently until well combined.
Place your burgers on the grill and baste with remaining BBQ sauce while cooking, approximately 5 minutes on one side. Flip and baste with more BBQ sauce, then place slices of cheese on top to melt. Cook to an internal temperature of 160°F (70°C). Toast the buns lightly if desired. Place the burgers on each bottom bun, top with a generous spoonful of Avocado-Tomato Salad and the top bun.
This would also be good with Feta as a substitute for Havarti!