You need to use fresh tomatillos for this dish. They begin to show up at the Farmers Market in late summer. They store very well in the fridge. Canned tomatillos should be reserved for cooked salsas and stewed dishes.
- ¾ lb (340gr) fresh tomatillos, husks removed, chopped
- 1 Tbsp chopped garlic
- ½ cup (120ml) pineapple juice
- juice of 6 limes
- 5 Tbsp Melinda's Original Habanero Hot Sauce (regular, 3x or 4x as desired)
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 ripe, but firm, mangoes, peeled and diced small
- 1 red or green bell pepper, diced small
- 1 red onion, diced small
In a blender or food processor, puree half of the tomatillos, the garlic, pineapple & lime juice, hot sauce, and ¼ cup of the cilantro. In a large glass or ceramic bowl, combine the remaining tomatillos, mangoes, bell pepper, and onion. Pour the puree over top and stir to combine well.
Cover and chill in the fridge for an hour up to 4 or 5 days.
Check out more recipes from Melinda's