This salsa has many tasty uses, so consider doubling the recipe.
- 1 ripe mango, cut in half, seeded and meat scooped out and chopped
- ¼ small red onion, small dice
- ½ small (341ml/12oz) can corn, drained
- 2½ tsp minced jalapeño NOTE: The heat in peppers is in the white membrane; remove it to reduce heat and bitterness.
- 1 Tbsp finely minced basil
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp salt and generous grind black pepper
- If you like extra kick, add a pinch of red pepper flakes
Make the salsa up ahead of time by simply combining all the ingredients. Keep covered in the fridge for an hour or a day to let the flavours meld. Stir before serving and adjust the seasonings, if necessary.
- Serve with tortilla chips, wedges of focaccia, or cheese quesadillas.
- It makes a great condiment for pork, chicken, fish, or duck.
- Grill slices of bread and top with the salsa & shredded cheese for a fruity bruschetta.
- Serve alongside grilled pineapple for a unique appetizer or dessert course.
- Spoon it on top of cream cheese or chèvre goat cheese and serve with crackers.
- Add it to a sandwich wrap with lettuce, tomato, and leftover shredded meat.
- Roll it up with your favourite fish in soft corn tortillas for tasty fish tacos served with guacamole.
- Make a great leftover “surprise” burrito with the salsa and any combination of last night’s rice, beans, grilled or steamed veggies, shredded/chopped pork, chicken, turkey, ham, or beef.
- Recipe for a tasty pizza inspired by the Ritz Deli North: Spread a homemade or store-bought crust with pizza sauce, strips of ham or shredded chicken, red bell pepper, and the salsa. Top with shredded cheese and cook in the oven or on a hot grill. It’s unbelievable good!
Pair with a Spanish rosé, or King Brewery’s pilsner.
Recipe for Pork with Mango Corn Salsa