Quick and easy appetizer! Serves 10
- 1 lb (454gr) fontina cheese (or Monterey jack), grated
- 1 jar (8 oz/250ml) caramelized onion compote, chutney or cheese topper
- 1 package (10 x 8-inch) flour or whole wheat tortillas
Evenly spread caramelized onions across one tortilla. Top generously with grated cheese, and then another tortilla.
Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking. Brown the quesadilla on both sides until browned and the cheese is melted. Transfer to a cutting board to cool for a few minutes while you prepare the next set of tortillas. When cooled slightly, cut the quesadillas into wedges.
Place the quesadilla on a large, flat microwave proof plate. Heat the quesadilla for 1 - 1-½ minutes on high until the cheese is melted. Remove the plate from the microwave and turn the quesadilla over onto a wooden cutting board to cool. Cut into wedges.This method will produce a chewier texture and it won’t have the crispy, browed tortilla.
You can add a small amount of an ingredient on top of the caramelized onions. Avoid moist ones like chopped fresh tomatoes.
- crisped, crumbled bacon
- thinly sliced green onions
- thinly sliced chives
- chopped rosemary
- finely chopped hazelnuts, walnuts, or pecans
- chopped sundried tomatoes