This bright and colorful salad is great anytime of year but the red and green contrast is especially nice at Christmas.
Serves 6 - 8 as a side dish.
- 1 - 2 large bunches of broccoli florets, stalks removed
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered & seeded
- ½ cup pimento stuffed green olives, drained
- 3 - 4 anchovy fillets, drained & chopped or 2 tsp anchovy paste
- 2 Tbsp capers, drained & rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- a couple of grinds black pepper
Blanch broccoli florets in boiling water until they just turn bright green. Drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Allow to drain well and place in a bowl. Cut each bell pepper quarter in half lengthwise and then thinly slice across the width Add bell pepper and olives to the bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together the anchovy, capers, oil, lemon juice, vinegar, and black pepper. Toss with broccoli and serve at room temperature or cover and keep in the fridge up to a day.