This salad comes together quickly but is fancy enough for special occasions.
Serves 4 as a first course or side salad.
- 4 Tbsp Niagara Empire Apple Cider Vinegar or O Honey Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp local honey (available at Kelcey’s Nutrition Centre or Vint-tiques on Hunter)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp honey mustard
- 1 local apple (Spartan, Empire, Braeburn, or Fuji)
- 1 head Boston Bibb lettuce
- ⅓ cup pecans, halves
- 3 oz (85g) Parmesan cheese (not pre-grated)
- freshly ground black pepper
Whisk together vinegar, honey, olive oil and mustard in a bowl. Wash and core the apple. Cut into thinly sliced wedges and then each slice in half to make bite-sized pieces. Toss the apple pieces in the vinaigrette and coat them to keep from browning. Tear the lettuce leaves into bite-sized pieces and place in a large salad bowl. With a slotted spoon, remove the apples from the vinaigrette, add to the lettuce along with the pecans, and toss. Drizzle as much of the vinaigrette as necessary to coat the salad. Shave the Parmesan over top with a vegetable peeler and season with a few grinds of black pepper. Give one last toss and serve.
Recipe by Anna Russell, as featured in Simple & Delicious 2010 Recipe Annual